main banner

Foreign aircraft landings at Baldonnel and Collinstown Aerodromes, Dublin 1935 to 1945.

Baldonnel Aerodrome located south of Dublin city was the headquarters of the Irish Air Corps throughout the war years and remains so to this day. As it was one of only very few established airfields in Ireland at the outbreak of war the airfield was known internationally as one of the main airfields in Ireland. Indeed, as well as being the head quarters of the Air Corps, Baldonnel also functioned as the main civilian airport in Ireland. It was from here that Aer Lingus operated their airline flights to the United Kingdom. Civilian flights moved to the new airfield at Collinstown, to the north of the city, in 1940.

Collinstown Aerodrome, Ireland's new international civil aerodrome, was built north of Dublin city on the site of a former Royal Air Force airfield. Built from the offset with concrete runways, Collinstown was equipped to the latest standards when it opened for operations in 1940. It was immediatly however caught in the middle of conflict and flights were greatly curtailed.

Being operational airfields, Baldonnel and Collinstown were marked on navigation charts and thus became a port of call for a small number of Allied aircraft throughout the war. These were a varied collection of mainly training types which found themselves lost and with dwindling fuel. The two Irish aerodromes allowed them a safe haven and a place to refuel, not just machines but mind and body also.

Date/Format Aircraft Identity Operator Unit Location Killed Other Pilot/Crew/Passengers
January 28, 1942 Hawker Hurricane I V6573, '29' RAF 59 O.T.U. / Crosby-on-Eden, Cumbria Dublin Airport, Colinstown 0 1 Sgt Salvator Bassi WALCOTT R/79006

Aircraft landed and was subsequently allowed to leave. The pilot, an American serving in the RCAF was not interned and later transferred to USAAF after a further period of internment with the Vichy French in North Africa. He served in combat with the USAAF in North Africa during His story is told in the book "Spitfire Deserter" by Bill Simpson.

April 17, 1943 Boeing B-17F-70-BO Fortress 42-29755 USAAF Air Transport Command (Ferry Flight) Dublin Airport, Colinstown 0 10 "1/Lt Cecil WALTERS O-664094 DIS
Lt Sidney D. ROSBERGER O-790297
Lt Edward C. QUIGLEY O-733355
2/Lt James C OLSEN O-736318 DIS
S/Sgt Barnett H GOODMAN 35285949 DIS
S/Sgt Joseph A. WOLOZYN 13087777 DIS
S/Sgt Rowland DOMENICK 35390046 DIS
S/Sgt Frank G. WADE Jr. 38204123 DIS
S/Sgt Joseph H. TRUITT 35487257 DIS
S/Sgt Ralph E. LEWIS 31077856 DIS"

This aircraft was noted flying over Cavan and eastern counties. It was fired on by Irish anti-aircraft batteries around Dublin. Landed at 12:30 and following refueling took off again at 18:30. The aircraft was on delivery flight from North Africa. The aircraft was assigned to the 96th Bomb Group initally but was then issued to the 533rd Bomb Squadron, 381st Bomb Group in July 1943. It survived the war and returned back across the Atlantic after the conflict. The 96th Bomb Group transferred to the UK during April 1943.
Of the crew men on board her in July 1943, all except Rosberger & Quigley died July 1943 with the 96th Bomb Group. The two officers had been injured the day before on a mission.

This photo of the crew comes from Edward Quigley's family and was included in Edward's war service album with the title "Little Caeser and Crew, taken after raid to Kiel, Germany, July 5th, '43. Our crew destroyed seven nazi fighters in 'Bloody Kiel Raid'". Their aircraft, tail number 42-30370, with the nose art 'Little Caeser' was returning from a raid on Warnemunde, Germany on 22 July 1943 when it collided with another USAAF bomber from the 381st BG. All of the crew were lost on that occasion including eight of the men who landed in Dublin.

1/Lt Cecil O WALTERS O-664094, Missing in Action, From Texas. The son of Willie and Willie Walters of Eastland, Texas.
2/Lt James C OLSEN O-736318 Missing in Action, from Minesota. The son of Ruth and WAlter Olsen Minneapolis.
S/Sgt Barnett H GOODMAN 35285949 Remains recovered and buried at Cambridge American Cemetery, from Ohio but originally born in London, England. Moved to Ohio in 1928. The son of Leah and Morris Goodman of Mile End old Town, London.
S/Sgt Joseph A. WOLOZYN 13087777 Missing in Action, From Franklyn, Pennsylvania, son of Nellie and Anthony Wolozyn.
S/Sgt Rowland DOMENICK 35390046 Missing in Action, from Piedmont, West Virginia, son of Concettino and Lewis Domenick
S/Sgt Frank G. WADE Jr. 38204123 Missing in Action, From Texas. Son of Amelia and Frank G Wade,
S/Sgt Joseph H. TRUITT 35487257 Missing in Action, From Marion, Kentucky, son of Edna and Lacy Truitt.
S/Sgt Ralph E. LEWIS 31077856 Missing in Action, from New Hamshire

Edward C Quigley returned to combat operatons with the 96th Bomb Group and survived his tour of duty in Europe. He stayed in the USAAF, later the USAF, and served during the Korean and Vietnam wars. He passed away in June 2006 in his native Massachusetts. He was laid to rest in Massachusetts National Cemetery, Bourne, Barnstable County, MA. His family very kindly provided photos of a wonderful set of memorabilia including photos of his aircraft and crew, as well as a diary. The page from this dated July 22nd, 23rd is presented below.

This photo from Edward Quigley's album shows, Jim Olsen, Edward Quigley and Cecil Walters, 'inf front of Edge-water Gulf Hotel, Gulfport, Mississippi. (March '42). Two weeks here after emergency landing on Test flight.

Sidney Rosberger also returned to duty with the 96th Bomb Group, flying missions into September 1943 with the crew of 2/Lt W F Bacon. His son posted a large article about him on the Army Air Forces Forum in May 2011 and a link to that is presented here. Lt Rosberger changed his name to Ross after the war and passed away in 1980.

June 29, 1943 Avro Anson I LT985 RAF 9 (Observer) AFU Dublin Airport, Colinstown 0 3 "P/O Edward Brian CHURCHILL 123246
Noted flying over Waterford, Kilkenny and Carlow. Landed at 14:35 short of fuel. Given 94 gallons of fuel and took off at 17:25 for Wales.

P/O Edward Brian CHURCHILL 123246
October 12, 1943 Avro Anson I LV139, ED-4 RAF 12 AGS, Bishopscourt, NI Dublin Airport, Colinstown 0 4

Sgt Stuart CHAMBERS 1576381

LAC Sydney BIRD 1494307 DIS

AC Reuben Edward FOULDS 1591122 DIS

AC Donald Victor DALE 1463201"

On a gunnery training mission, but lost target and then their way in poor visibility. Were planning to ditch but saw land. They were refueled and took off again at 17:40 to NI. Foulds was Killed in Action over France in Jun 1944 and Bird was killed in a flying training accident in May 1944.

March 12, 1944

Armstrong Whitworth AW38 Whitley

Unknown, 'T'


24 OTU

Dublin Airport, Colinstown

0 5

Sgt Nelson Joseph McDonald R/168240 RCAF

"F/O Albert Smitten J/35051 RCAF

F/O Charles Reginald Laing J/35099 RCAF

P/O Ernest John Simpson Wood J/88510 RCAF

F/O John Robert Thackeray J/28989 RCAF


Aircraft landed while lost on a training mission. The crew signalled to the airport that they were in distress and were given assistance to land at 17:54 hrs. The crew reported they had been in the air for the previous seven hours and must have mentioned that they were based at 24 OTU in southern England. It was noted by the military in the Irish Army report that there was no one on duty at weekends. The aircraft was recorded as having just a letter 'T; painted on the side.
Returned the next day. The serial number of the aircraft was not recorded by the Irish military and the records of 24 Operational Training Unit would not normally record individual aircraft serials other than the individual letter assigned. It is hoped that some of the mens relatives might have a log book that records the identity of the aircraft.

Four of the Canadian airmen are shown in the photo above while flying with 427 Squadron RCAF. They are, standing, at left, C R Laing and standing at far right, J R Thackeray. Kneeling from the left are E J S Wood and A Smitten.
They were posted to 427 Squadron from 61 Base on the 18 August 1944, and flew their first mission together with W B Britton on 28th August.  Laing, Thackeray and Wood were posted out in March 1945, with Smitten following a month later.

The pilot, Nelson J McDonald, was a Nova Scotia born airman who had enlisted in the Royal Canadian Air Force. He had moved with his parents Williams and Elizabeth to Illinois in 1925. The Illinois newspaper, the Suburbanite Economist, published the following short article on Wednesday, July 7th, 1943: Go To Canada to See Son Receive RCAF Wings Mr. and Mrs. William MacDonald, 7521 Normal ave,; will leave tonight for Alymer, Ontario, where they will attend the graduation of their son, Nelson J. MacDonald, who will recieve his wings and become a first lieutenant in the Royal Canadian Air Force.
Nelson, who is 19 years old, is the youngest pilot in his flight. He attended Harvard elementary school and was graduated from St. Carthage school and Tilden Technical high school.

He did not go on to join the other four men in 427 Squadron and instead joined the US Army Air Forces in June 1944. His service with the USAAF during the war seems to have been in fighter units and he returned to the US in August 1945 on the Queen Elizabeth troop transport. His USAAF serial number was O-887830. Post war he remained in the USAF as late as the Vietnam war where he flew F-105 Thunderchief fighter bombers. At that time he was widely reported in state side newspapers in 1967 when one of his fellow pilots shot down a North Vietnamese fighter. At that time he was a resident of Berkley Heights, New Jersey. Earlier, in 1951, he also made national newspapers when the guns of his F-84 Thunderjet accidently went off in flight over the town of Groveport, Ohio in August 1951. He was at that time a Captain in the airforce and described in news reports as a WW2 veteran.
He died in March 2000 in Albuquerque.

Charles Laing was born in 1920. He served served with the R.C.A.F. for 23 years and then embarked on a 14 year career with the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario. Charles passed away in April 2005 just two years after making contact with the website about his short visit to Dublin. In 2003 he wrote via email: We (myself & rest of the aircrew) were on a training mission to drop a few practice bombs on a watery target. We became lost somewhere over the atlantic ocean and received a radio fix to alter course. We change course and the first land that came into view was the coast of Southern Irland.
The aircraft (Whitley) was very low on fuel and the pilot (an American) decided we couldn't make it back to England and started looking for a place to land. We flew over Dublin at a very low altitude dodging barrage balloon cables and somehow arrived over Collinstown airport.
March 12, 1944 was a Sunday and the landing field was at that time all grass. Sheep were spread out all over the field making it risky to try to land. The radio in the control tower was turned off so we used our hand held light to send a message to the people below in the tower. A dog was then sent out and cleared the sheep for us and we landed.
We were greeted by some Irish Military personel and asked for our names,ranks and numbers. I was asked to remove the bombs, hanging under the aircraft, and place them in the aircraft.
We had a pleasant few hours in the Officer's mess and eventually returned to the aircraft and tried to get some sleep.
The next morning,after some official negotiations, our aircraft was refuelled and we took off for Northern Irland. I would like to add that there were no other military aircraft on the field while we were at Collinstown

John Robert Thackeray was born in April 1925 in Regina, Canada. He enlisted in October 1942 in Regina. Following training in Canada, he would have been posted to 24 OTU for crew training, it is expected that he would then have gone with the crew to a Heavy Conversion Unit where they would have learned to fly the Halifax bomber. He moved with his wife Marie to America in 1952 and there raised a family in California. John, known as 'Jack' to friends and family died in Ventura, California, on 19 October 2001.

April 22, 1944 Avro Anson I LT284, B-3 RAF 7 (Observer) AFU, RAF Bishopscourt, N.I. Baldonnel Aerodrome 0 4 "F/Sgt Raymond Twyford 1230496
Sgt Ronald Valentine Westmore 1602754
P/O William McGregor Robinson J/38338 RCAF
P/O Morris Donald Berry J/39352 RCAF POW

This event was an early morning landing at the airfield, the aircraft having been flying from Bishopscourt, County Down on a nighttime dead reckoning navigation flight. The crew of four and aircraft flew out at midday later that day. The air men on board consisted of the pilot, F/Sgt Twyford, a wireless operator instructor Sgt Westmore and two Canadian airmen, undertaking training in navigation duties in North West European conditions. All four men survived the war although one was shot down over Germany and made prisoner of war.

Raymond Twyford was a young Warwickshire born pilot of the RAF Volunteer Reserve. Raymond was posted to Rhodesia in May 1942 for pilot training, this being completed successfully in December of that year. He was then sent home on a vessel which sailed first to Fort Slokum in New York, He transferred then to Halifax in Canada from where he then sailed presumably back to the UK. It was in September 1943 that he was posted to 7 (Observers) Advanced Flying Unit, then referred to as 7 Air Observers School. He remained there as a staff pilot for navigators who had completed their instruction in the vast empty skies of Canada or Africa. His time at Bishopscourt ended in April 1945 with a posting out to 17 Operational Training Unit at Silverstone where he converted to the Wellington bomber. His first front line unit was Transport Commands 77 Squadron which was in the summer and autumn of 1945 converting to the Douglas Dakota transport.
Following the end of hostilities in Europe, he was posted to India with 77 Squadron and in the October 1945 made his flight there. He wrote to RAF friends about the long flight which took him over the old battlefields of the Desert Campaigns. His son understands that he later flew home former prisoners of war. He remained friends with Ron Westmore and they exchanged letters after they parted ways at Bishopscourt. After the war he went on to a long career in the police service and is still well remembered as Police Inspector for the Borough. Raymond passed away in 1993.

Ronald Valetine Westmore was born in 1916 on the Isle of Wight. His surviving log book contains some great narrative of his service up to the time he arrived in Northern Ireland. To quote from the log book:

Joined the RAF on July 9th 1942 - First to Padgate to be kitted out etc: There met many grand lads who I was later to be with for a considerable time! Left Padgate for Blackpool on July 14th and went into 10 (S) R.C.* D13/5 SQUAD for initial training, Square bashing, morse up to 10's & 12's.
Left Blackpool in November 1942 and went to Yatesbury for a 3 months wireless course. Our Blackpool squad is now broken up. The reason being an alphabetical posting from Blackpool. So a new squad now formed up of S's Y's W's. Left Yatesbury for Gosport on getting our 'Sparks'. 3 months spent here on ground point to point work awaiting a refresher wireless course.
On leaving Gosport in June 1943 went then to Madley nr Hereford. There meeting up with most of the boys known at Blackpool and Yatesbury.
Three months here and gain our Sergeants strips on 31 Aug 1943 after which 15 of us are posted to Cark - a staff pilots OTU where we did a course on air wireless operating in Ansons.
From Cark after another 7 days leave are posted to Bishops Court thinking we were to have a Gunnery Course here, but found that we were going to be Staff W/Ops. Now in Training Command and there I stay for the rest of my service until June 18th 1946 from Oct 8th 1943. There I had a real good time considering work with dammed good types. Photo opposite 4 of us who went to Ireland from Cark.
Alf Foster - myself - Ron Schneer
Bill Brown

Ron Schneer crashed into the sea on a trip the day after Boxing Day 1943!

* 10 (Signals) Recruit Center

The colleague Ron refers to was F/Sgt Ronald S Schneer 1684911 who was lost in the crash of Anson DG972 on December 26th, 1943. Ronald Westmore had married in 1942 and returned to live in his native home. He passed away in 1989 in the Isle of Wight. His son was very kind in providing scans of his log book.

Above shows the page from Raymond Twyford's flight log showing the flying for that day. It is noted that he accidently filled in the first column as March but corrected it to read April.

Above shows the page from Ron Westmore's flight log showing the aircraft's planned movements for the day.

The remaining two airmen on the aircraft were Canadian's undergoing acclimatisation flying having recently arrived in Europe following training in Canada.

Morris Donald Berry was a young airman from Innisfail, Alberta. Amazingly, his log also survived the war and is the third record of the days flying.

After his time in Northern Ireland he was posted to 425 Squadron, Royal Canadian Air Force. He completed 20 bombing missions with that unit before things went wrong in January 1945. He was the bomb aimer on Halifax NP999 on the night of January 5th/6th 1945 when the aircraft was brought down over Germany. Morris was lucky enough to survive by bailing out with 5 of his crew mates however; their English Flight Engineer lost his life. He is shown below with his crew, Morris berry is the second from the right, standing.

Morris spent the last few months of the war as a Prisoner of the Germans. He passed away in October 1986.

This summary of the fourth airman, also a Canadian named William McGregor Robinson comes from a Canadian researcherís summary of his wartime service record: ROBINSON, William McGregor (R.191608 and J.38338) - Born 6 December 1910 in Glasgow, Scotland. Enlisted in London, Ontario, 9 September 1942. To No.1 Manning Depot, 6 November 1942. To (illegible on microfilm), 6 December 1941. To (illegible again), 15 January 1942. To No.5 ITS, 1 March 1943. Promoted LAC, 12 June 1943. To No.4 AOS, 26 June 1943. Graduated and commissioned, 13 November 1943. To No.2 Aircrew Graduate Training School, 18 January 1944. To "Y" Depot for embarkation, 11 February 1944. Taken on strength of No.3 PRC, Bournemouth, 15 March 1944. Repatriated to Canada by air, No.428 Squadron, 7 June 1945. Training for "Tiger Force" when war ended; retired 10 September 1945. Post war, William was found to have travelled to New York in April 1949 to undertake a training course with National Brewers Academy. His wife Ruth lived in London, Ontario and on the voter's lists of that time it can be seen that Williams worked for the Labatt's brewing company. He passed away on 30th October 1971 in London, Ontario.

October 7, 1944 Avro Anson Unknown RAF Unknown Baldonnel Aerodrome - - TBD
Reviewed ACF-S-241 only and not the possible main file. Is mentioned on the lists in the F/A file A.26 in the NA; IMA #B103, Info will be in MISC 6/06 in MA and ACF-S-241
April 5, 1945 Avro Anson I W1709, '42' RAF 7 (Observer) AFU, RAF Bishopscourt, N.I. Dublin Airport, Colinstown 0 5 "F/Sgt Arthur BANKS 1458368
Sgt BANCUTT 1825006
Sgt Donald John MCLEOD R/192444 RCAF
Sgt Derek LANGLEY 1570484
Sgt Frederick FITZNER R/253936 RCAF"
Suffered oil system problems, was drained and repaired. From Nav. School at Bishopscourt, Co. Down; D J McLeod emailed in 2011 to confirm he was on the aircraft. Contacted the Fitzner family in 2008, F Fitzner went missing after the war and his where abouts became unknown to his family.
November 12, 1945 Boeing B-17G-70-DL Fortress 44-6883 USAAF BADA, HQ Burtonwood, UK Baldonnel Aerodrome 0 3 "Maj Frederick B. JOHNSON O-661102
S/Sgt Egon L ECK 35316683
Lt/Col James J SHOWN O-913379

According to the USAAF accident report, "The aircraft, after making a normal approach and landing set down just over the fence at the end of the runway. The pilot applied the brakes as soon as was permissible. The brakes stopped the wheels but they slid on the wet grassy surface and the aircraft slowed but would not stop and continued on into a hedge at the end of the runway. Upon striking the hedge the tail came up off the ground then dropped down hard driving the tail strut into the fuselage buckling it at that section of the aircraft."

The pilots own account in that accident report reads as follows:
I was flying B-17G #44-6883 from Burtonwod , England to Baldonnel, Dubin, Eire.  The weather at Burtonwood was bad when we left but at Baldonnel the weather was excellent.  I had landed at that field about a week before in a B-17 and had sufficient room to make a normal landing.  I circled the field several times trying to select the runway to use, because the wind was light and cross.  Finally I decided to land bearing 060 degrees, which is the longest.  I concentrated on landing on the very first part of the runway and made my approach as slow as possible.  The ship set down just over the fence on the end of the runway  I applied brakes as soon as was permissable.  The brakes stopped the wheels but they slid on the wet grassy surface and the aircraft slowed but would not stop and continued on into a hedge at the end of the runway.  Upon striking the hedge the tail came up off the ground then dropped down hard driving the tail strut into the fuselage and buckling it at that section of the aircraft.  There were no injuries to the personnel on board.
Frederick B Johnson
Major, Air Corps

The USAAF report also contains a statement from the Irish Air Corps  officer commanding, Col. W P Delemere in which he states the conditions and causes similar to Major Johnson's report above..

The aircraft was arriving from the USAAF airbase at Burtonwood, near Warrington in Cheshire. Irish Newspapers reported the aircraft carried members of the Irish Air Corps who were returning from a meeting in the UK however the USAAF crash report makes no mention of anyone other than US personnel on board. The USAAF crash report and the testimony therein from the Pilot Major Frederick B Johnson point out that he had flown into Baldonnel Aerodrome the previous week. It appears that at this time there was of talks taking place between the Irish Authorities and those of the US Government, perhaps about purchase of surplus weaponry.

The aircraft itself was a Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress, serial number 44-6883. This aircraft had flown in combat with the 535th Bomb Squadron, 381st Bopmb Group from Ridgewell, Essex. On a mission on the 2nd March 1945 to Chemitz in Germany, a pilot of the 381st Bomb Group, Lt Charles Carpenter was forced to turn back with technical problems and upon landing was assigned a spare aircraft, 44-6883. He took off quickly again to try catch up with the remainder of the group but instead accidentally found himself among a group of RAF Lancaster's on a late war day light mission to Cologne. Online records make it unclear as to whether it was before this event or because of this event that the aircraft received in painted nose-art of 'RAFAAF', the symbolize the Royal Air Force - Army Air Forces. The 535th diary indicates that the aircraft had two engines shot out on March 24th but was brought back home safely on that occasion. The following month on April 11th the aircraft suffered the complete loss of its right hand stabilizer and elevator following a mid air collision with another B-17 while turning after bombing Germany. The pilots of the aircraft were lucky enough to be able to recover the aircraft from a diving spin and were able to return to base. Despite this damage, a new stabiliser was fitted and the aircraft returned to flying. At some point it was delivered to the USAAF base at Burtonwood and had its armament removed and used as something of a transport. it was during this period that the incident occurred in Dublin and the aircraft finished out its days as a wreck at Baldonnel, slowly being scrapped. The Irish Army archives report on this aircraft consists mainly of discussions between the Irish and American authorities regarding the disposal and use of components from the aircraft. The propellers were provided to Aer Lingus and Irish Army radio van ZC778 was equipped with devices taken from the stricken bomber. The accident report records that the aircraft was assigned to the Headquarters and Headquarters Squadron of BADA, the acronym for Base Air Depot Area.

Aircraft 44-6883 carried just three American personnel on board, a pilot, Major Frederick B Johnson, an Engineer, Sgt Egon L Eck and a passenger, Col. James J Shown. The two officers have proved a little elusive to confirmation but it has been possible to contact the family of the engineer.

Frederick Bancroft JOhnsonThe pilot of the aircraft Major Frederick B Johnson, serial number O-661102, has not been positively identified by this researcher just yet. However, it seems likely that he was a pilot named Frederick Bancroft Johnson from Canton, Stark County in Ohio. He enlisted in the air force in November 1941 and was listed in his local newspaper as having graduated from the Brooks Field, Texas, training school in the summer of 1942. This airman normally went be the name format 'F Bancroft Johnson'. Born in 1918 in Ohio, he died in June 1985 in Florida where he retired. His obituary from the June 4th, 1985 Miami Herald reads: F. Bancroft "Ban" Johnson, a test pilot of bombers and fighter aircraft during World War II, died Sunday of pneumonia. He was 67. "He had the flier persona -- good looking and tall," his daughter, Lynne Price, recalled. At the age of 23, Mr. Johnson joined the U.S. Army Air Corps. He didn't know how to fly. He was soon testing new aircraft built for the Air Corps, while stationed in Texas.
Sent overseas, Mr. Johnson continued to test aircraft with Squadron No. 325 in England and Ireland. He became squadron commander. "At one time, when he was squadron commander, he lost every man under him within a period of a week," Price said. After spending nearly five years in the service during and after World War II, Mr. Johnson re-enlisted with the start of the Korean Conflict. After Korea, he remained in the reserves until he resigned in 1960, with a rank of major. Mr. Johnson was a native of Canton, Ohio. With a degree in economics from Wooster College, he became a systems analyst for the electronics industry. He worked for the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, the Burroughs Corp. and Lincoln Laboratories. In 1965, Mr. Johnson moved to Miami. Five years later, he founded Seavale Corp. "Seavale was a pest control business -- and a play thing," Price said. Mr. Johnson was preparing to retire at the time of his death. Besides Price, survivors include a sister, Marjorie Riehl, and three grandchildren.

It is hoped to be able to confirm if this F Bancroft Johnson was indeed the pilot on 44-6883 in Dublin.

The Engineer was Egon L Eck, a 24 year old from Clevelan, Ohio. The son of Egon and Anna Eck, immigrants from Roumania, Egon himself having been born in Roumania in 1921 but was actually of German extraction. By the 1940 US national census, Egon was working as a car mechanic and he enlisted in the armed forces in July 1942. It is understood by friends and family that he served as an aircraft mechanic but clearly also had some flying duties. Egon returned to his native Cleveland and married Mildred Navratil in February 1950. Egon passed away in June 1973. His first cousin, Bob Teutsch remembers Egon well and was able to provide the photos of Egon with friends and colleagues from during his wartime service. Egon's cousin Bill Teutsch was completing his flying training in the USAAF having enlisted in 1943.

This image above is of Egon with two unnamed Air Force friends.

Egon is in the center of the above photo

Egon is here pictured above with two Cleveland friends,

The passenger on the aircraft was a non flying officer of the Air Force, Colonel James Joseph Shown. The crash report lists his serial number as O-913379 however, the 1948 US Army and Air Force register contains an entry for 'Shown, James J, (O41672). B-Tex. 24.Feb.05. A.Tex. B.S.M.. The list of promotions after show an officer who joined the force in August 1942 apparently as a direct entry and who had reached the rank of Lt. Col. by April 16 1945. The name also appears in the State Bar of Texas annual publication of 1943 with the following text: On April 30 James J. Shown was promoted to Captain in the Army Air Forces. He is Commanding Officer of the 877th Guard Squadron at Kelly Field.. In 1946, the Armed Forces Journal International recorded Transferred to Keesler from Randolph Field, Tex., on 23 Sept. was Lt. Col. James J. Shown of Houston, Tex. Col. Shown is to assume command of the Technical Training Command military police school at this station. The Biloxi Daily Herald on Friday, February 7, 1947 carried the following story, MP School Closes At Keesler Feb. 15 Due to the fact that Military Police training is being consolidated at Carlisle Barracks, Pa., Keesler's Military Police school is scheduled to close after the final graduation exercises which will be held in Theater No. 1, Saturday, February 15. The graduation will follow the scheduled base review with MP graduating students present in the reviewing stand. Personnel of the MP school will remain with the Air Training Command, some staying at Keesler and others being distributed to bases within the command. Lt. Col. James J. Shown, director of the school, is to be transferred to the indoctrination division of the Air Training Command at San Antonio, Texas, where he will be assigned as Provost Marshal. The Texas State bar the following year further reported: Lt. Col. James J. Shown of Houston is attending the Air Tactical School at Tyndall Air Force Base in Panama City, Florida. Overseas he served with the 8th Air Force in England as provost Marshal for thirty-two months, returning to the States in in May 1946.

James Shown resigned from the military in 1950 and went on to become an attorney in the state of Texas where his name appears many times in legal cases. In 1952, he was himself the subject of investigation in a fraud case involving cars but was found not guilty. Before the war, his name frequently featured in Texas newspapers as he was a member of the Texas Rangers police force. James Shown passed away Houstan in 1966 and is buried there. His first wife Rita was killed in an automobile accident in 1932, and they had one daughter.

Compiled by Dennis Burke, 2018, Dublin and Sligo.